For the Burgers
- 500 g venison (finely diced or minced)
- 100 g pancetta lardons
- 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
- small handfull breadcrumbs
- small handfull parsley (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Pale Ale & Juniper Mustard
- 1 tsp thyme (chopped)
- 4 banana shallots (sliced)
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 4 slices Dunshire blue or equivalent
- 4 burger buns
- chips or sweet potato wedges
First start with the crispy shallots. Heat the veg oil in a deep and stable heavy based sauce pan to a medium heat. Add the shallots and fry for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally until the turn golden brown. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and leave them to dry out on some kitchen roll.
If you choose to dice your own venison make sure it’s cold before you start. Mix all of the burger ingredients together and shape into burgers, be careful not to overwork the mixture.
Heat up a griddle pan until nice and hot, once it starts to smoke, add the burger patties. Flip the burgers every minute for 4-5 minutes then place the cheese on top and melt it under the grill to melt. Your burger will be about medium rare, if you want it cooked well done, cook for a further 3-4 minutes before putting the cheese on.
Prepare your burger buns, place the burger with the cheese and top with the crispy shallots.